Contrary to first impressions, any teaching method can be seen fit into one or the other divergent teaching approaches. These are known as andragogy and pedagogy. Andragogy is based on the behaviourist approach to teaching.
Behaviourism is where something is learned without involvement of the higher thought processes. This ‘learned’ behaviour becomes automated due to conditioning. A stimulus brings on the response, which can be as subtle as the tone of the teacher’s voice to urge a student to complete a project on time. Behaviourism in the classroom can be seen when children automatically file out of the classroom at the sound of the bell. The bell is the stimulus; the filing out is the response.
- Art lectures.
- Step by step instructions on a painting demo.
- A teacher talking about what the lesson is going to be about.
- Following a health and safety drill in the studio.
- Following instructions on how to measure proportions in the human figure.
- Reciting information the teacher has given about colour theory.
- Informing the assessment criteria for an art course (if applicable).
- Group discussions on how symmetry was used in art.
- Research assignments into how Pop Art begun.
- Exploratory art techniques that combine two painting methods.
- Problem-solving thought shower.
- A class of beginners.
- Within the initial stages of the course module, particularly the first lesson.
- Art students with learning needs.
- Students with low self-esteem.
- To help a student who needs extra help with a particular aspect of art.
- Young art students.
- A class of children.
- A lively art class.
- When time is running short.
- When deadlines are due.
- Gifted students.
- Students who already know a little about painting.
- Students who are highly self-directed.
- Students with high self-esteem.
- Students who simply prefer to learn certain things by self-discovery.
- More pedagogic approaches can be incorporated into the lessons once the course module is underway.
Art Subject Ideas for Teachers
The colour theory
Step by step demo on painting a still life
About oils and associated materials